in sight(redirected from in our sight)
1. Literally, in one's field of vision. A noun or pronoun can be used between "in" and "sight." Yeah, the box is in sight, but I can't reach it from here.
2. Close to happening or being achieved. A noun or pronoun can be used between "in" and "sight." After all your years of hard work, an Olympic gold medal is finally in your sight!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Lit. within the range of vision; visible. The goal is in sight. The end of the road is in sight.
2. Fig. known; expected. The end of the project is finally in sight.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Within one's range of vision, as in The sailboat was still in sight on the horizon. [c. 1200]
2. Also, in one's sight or sights . Before one's eyes; also, within one's awareness. For example, In the world's sight he was at fault, or Harold had that promotion firmly in his sights. [c. 1200]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.