Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
Related to in charge: Person In Charge
In control or having authority over or responsibility for something. Who's in charge here? I want to speak to the person who makes the decisions. Mom said I'm in charge of chopping the carrots. Whenever Elaine is out of the office, I'm the woman in charge.
in charge (of someone or something)
in control of someone or something; having the responsibility for someone or something. Who is in charge of this office? Do you like being in charge?
1. In a position of leadership or supervision, as in Who's in charge here? or He's the agent in charge at the ticket counter. [Early 1500s]
2. in charge of. Having control over or responsibility for, as in You're in charge of making the salad. [Late 1500s]
3. in the charge of; in the care of. Under someone's care or supervision, as in We left the children in the charge of their grandparents. [Mid-1800s]
in charge (of somebody/something)having control or command (of something): The teacher in charge of the children has to accompany them on the coach. ♢ Who’s in charge around here?
1. In a position of leadership or supervision: the security agent in charge at the airport.
2. Chiefly British Under arrest.