imprint (something) on(to) (someone or something)(redirected from imprint on us)
imprint (something) on(to) (someone or something)
1. To print something, such as text, onto something else. How long do you think it will take for them to imprint that message on a t-shirt?
2. To retain something in one's memory. Being rejected by her crush has definitely imprinted a sense of anxiety on Sarah, at least as far as romantic relationships are concerned. I try to imprint the importance of strong morals onto my kids every day.
3. Of a young animal, to recognize someone or something as its parent or a similarly trustworthy figure. In this usage, a noun or pronoun is not typically used between "imprint" and "on." That gosling seems to have imprinted on its caretaker at the rehabilitation center.
See also: imprint
imprint something on(to) something
1. to print something onto something. We imprinted your name onto your stationery and your business cards. Please imprint my initials on this label.
2. and imprint something into something to record something firmly in the memory of someone. The severe accident imprinted a sense of fear onto Lucy's mind. Imprint the numbers into your brain and never forget them!
3. and imprint something into something to make a permanent record of something in an animal's brain. (As with newly hatched fowl, which imprint the image of the first moving creature they see into their brains.) The sight of its mother imprinted itself on the little gosling's brain. Nature imprints this information into the bird's memory.