Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. informal Experiencing financial distress or difficulty. A lot of shops around here have really been hurting because of the new tax law.
2. colloquial Unappealing; in poor condition. This place is really hurting—you're going to have to do a ton of repairs and renovations.
See also: hurt
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. mod. very ugly; damaged and ugly. (Streets. Similar to hurting.) That poor girl is really bad hurt.
2. mod. drug intoxicated. (Streets.) Gert was really hurt and nodding and drooling.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (it) doesn't hurt to ask
- (it) never hurts to ask
- a little (hard) work never hurt anybody
- a little (hard) work never hurt anyone
- ache for
- cry before (one) is hurt
- cry before one is hurt
- doesn't hurt to ask. and never hurts to ask
- don't cry before you are hurt
- he, she, etc. wouldn't harm/hurt a fly
- hit (one) where it hurts (most)
- hit somebody where it hurts
- hurt feelings
- hurt for (someone or something)
- hurt for someone/something
- hurting for (someone or something)
- it doesn't hurt to (have or do something)
- it won't hurt to (have or do something)
- it won't/wouldn't hurt somebody to do something
- it wouldn't hurt to (have or do something)
- little work never hurt anyone
- not hurt a flea
- not hurt a fly
- sticks and stones may break my bones (but words will never hurt me)
- sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me
- sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me
- the truth hurts
- what (someone) doesn't know can't hurt them
- what (someone) doesn't know won't hurt them
- what one doesn't know won't hurt one
- What you don't know won't hurt you
- Would it hurt to (do something)?
- wouldn't hurt a fly