hang off(redirected from hung off)
1. Literally, to hang or dangle from something. Did you know that the gutter is practically hanging off the side of the house? We should probably get that fixed.
2. To stay behind, often in a subdued manner. I hung off once I could hear Mom yelling downstairs.
3. To delay or wait rather than take action. You should hang off on booking a hotel until we know exactly how many people are coming on the trip.
to wait quietly to one side. The boys hung off a little, waiting to see what would happen next. Hang off awhile and don't do anything.
1. To be suspended from something: The ornaments hang off the chandelier.
2. To hesitate or remain behind: Hang off on that decision until the boss gets back.