hop the twig(redirected from hopped the twig)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
hop the twig
1. obsolete To die. The poor man lay in bed for nearly a fortnight, out of his mind with fever and delirium. Finally, in the early hours of Friday, he hopped the twig and passed into a peaceful, eternal sleep.
2. obsolete To leave something or some place very quickly or suddenly. Investigators believe the money lender hopped the twig to America after suspicions about the legality of his business arose.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hop the twig (or stick)1 depart suddenly. 2 die. British informal
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- die in (one's) bed
- die in your bed
- early to bed and early to rise (makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise)
- Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise
- early to bed, early to rise (makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise)
- climb into (something)
- in bed
- pink elephants
- make a bed