Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, slang A means of captivating or attracting others, especially a potential customer or consumer; a gimmick. The movie's hook at the time was its incredible computer-generated graphics. Unfortunately, the visual effects look pretty laughable by today's standards. You've always got to have a hook when you're trying to sell something.
2. verb, slang To attract (someone). The company offers a huge range of benefits in order to hook the most talented people in the industry.
3. verb, slang To captivate (someone). Her latest novel hooked me from the very first page.
4. verb, informal To addict (someone). He got hooked on heroin in college.
5. verb, informal To prostitute oneself. It's not uncommon to see women hooking in this area at night.
slang One's hands. Get your damn hooks off of me—who do you think you are? I can never open tiny clasps like this with these giant hooks of mine.
See also: hook
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. the hands. (see also meathooks. Probably a shortening of shit hooks.) Don’t stand there with your hooks in your pocket. Get busy!
See also: hook
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.