hoof it(redirected from hoofed it)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. slang To walk. Let's just hoof it—the store is only a few blocks away.
2. slang To dance. Ever since my foot injury, I haven't been able to hoof it at family functions anymore.
Inf. to walk. If nobody gives us a ride, we'll have to hoof it. She hoofed it home from the dance in her high-heeled shoes.
1. Go on foot, as in The car's being repaired-we'll have to hoof it. [First half of 1600s]
2. Dance, as in He was always a good dancer, and he's still able to hoof it. [Slang; 1920s]
If you hoof it, you walk somewhere. I've put you to enough trouble already — I can hoof it the rest of the way.
ˈhoof it(informal) go somewhere on foot; walk somewhere: We hoofed it all the way to 42nd Street.
This comes from the noun hoof, which is the hard part of the foot of some animals, for example horses.
1. tv. to run away. I saw them coming and hoofed it home.
2. in. to walk instead of ride. My car’s broken down, so I had to hoof it to work today.
1. To walk.
2. To dance.