hold (something) against (someone or something)(redirected from hold against her)
hold (something) against (someone or something)
1. To physically press one thing against another. Hold that ice pack against your foot—it should help with the swelling.
2. To remain angry at or unhappy with someone for a past action or misdeed. It was an honest mistake—how long do you plan to hold it against me?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hold something against someone or something
1. Lit. to press something against someone, a group, or something. Max held the gun against the bank guard's head and threatened to pull the trigger. Fred held the drill against the wall and turned it on.
2. Fig. to think badly of someone, a group, or something because of something. I am the one who dented your fender. I'm sorry. I hope you don't hold it against me. I hold all this mess against the government.
hold something against someone
Fig. to blame something on someone; to bear a grudge against someone; to resent someone. Your brother is mean to me, but I can't hold it against you. You're holding something against me. What is it?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Think badly of someone because of some fault or occurrence. For example, Even if you're late, I won't hold it against you, or She backed right into his new car, so he's bound to hold it against her. Also see bear a grudge.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To place someone on or next to some other thing: I held the picture against the wall.
2. To have ill feelings toward someone because of something: I still hold their unkind insults against them. They arrived late and the supervisor held it against them for months.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.