hit above (one's) weight(redirected from hitting above somebody's weight)
hit above (one's) weight
1. To perform, achieve, or do something at a level that is considered beyond one's abilities, talents, or personal attributes. The small-town mayor has been hitting above her weight recently, going head-to-head with federal lawmakers over the issue of immigration reform.
2. To be romantically or sexually involved with someone who is considered by others to be superior in physical appearance, intelligence, or success. I think Janet's new boyfriend is a model or something. She's really hitting above her weight!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- punch above your weight
- punch above/below your weight
- punch above (one's) weight
- hit below (one's) weight
- punch below (one's) weight
- put (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
- put/throw your weight behind something
- punch above (something)
- throw (one's) weight behind (someone or something)
- throw your weight behind something