Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, slang A dose of an illegal drug. When I was at the worst point of my addiction, every waking moment was spent trying to find a way to score my next hit.
2. noun, slang An inhalation of smoke from a cigarette or pipe, especially one filled with drugs. Yo, can I get a hit off that bong?
3. noun, slang A hired or premeditated murder, especially done by a member of an organized crime syndicate. Most people assumed the politician's murder was a hit orchestrated by the mob.
4. noun, informal Someone or something that is very popular and successful on a large scale. She never found much success in America, but she's a huge hit in Japan. I never expected this silly book of mine to become such a big hit.
5. adjective, informal Very popular or successful. The band's hit new song has been on the top of the charts for four weeks straight. The studio's hit film has been breaking box office records.
6. verb, informal To begin traveling on (something). We're hitting the road at 8 AM sharp, so make sure you get to bed early tonight.
7. verb, informal To go to or arrive at (some place). I think I'm going to hit the gym tonight. Why don't we hit the beach this afternoon?
8. verb, vulgar slang To have sex with (someone). Usually used with the pronouns "that" or "it." A: "Wow, look at that chick over there—she's so hot!" B: "Yeah, she is. I would totally hit that!"
9. verb, slang To inhale smoke from (a cigarette or pipe), especially one filled with drugs. You want to hit this pipe, dude?
10. verb, slang To drink (something), especially to an excessive degree. You've been hitting the bottle pretty hard lately. Maybe you should take a break from the drinking.
To start something (such as a machine) or begin doing something. Usually used as an imperative. Let's get this party started. Hit it, DJ! I've got this thing rigged so that when you hit it, the whole place will light up.
See also: hit
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
ˈhit it(spoken) used to tell somebody to start doing something, such as playing music: Hit it, Louis!
See also: hit
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017