hide away(redirected from hide me away)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. verb To keep oneself, someone, or something out of sight. A noun or pronoun can be used between "hide" and "away." The cops are getting closer—you guys really need to find a place to hide away. Hide the Christmas presents away in the attic so that the kids don't see them.
2. noun A place where someone or something can stay out of sight. When used as a noun, the phrase is typically written as one word ("hideaway"). The cops are getting closer—you guys really need to find a hideaway.
3. adjective Describing something that can be easily collapsed and stored. When used as an adjective, the phrase is typically written as one word ("hideaway"). We need to get out the hideaway bed for you guys.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hide (someone or something) away (some place)
to conceal someone or something somewhere. Please hide Randy away where no one can find him. Rachel hid the cake away, hoping to save it for dessert. Mary hid away the candy so the kids wouldn't eat it all.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To put something in a place that is concealed or out of sight: The squirrel hides away nuts underground. I hid the money away in my sock drawer.
2. To seek refuge in a secret place: The refugees hid away in a cave.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.