sweats(redirected from her sweats)
1. verb, informal To put in a lot of effort or work. We've been sweating for months to get this project ready in time for the holidays.
2. verb, informal To fret, worry, or bother. You need to stop sweating about this. Everything is going to be fine. I've been sweating all weekend wondering how I did on my final exams.
3. verb, slang To subject (someone) to intense, severe, or violent interrogation. A: "The suspect still hasn't confessed." B: "Let's keep sweating him."
4. verb, slang To extract (some information) from someone as a result of intense or violent interrogation. Detectives managed to sweat the location of the hostages out of the suspect.
5. noun, slang A worried, anxious, or fretful state or condition. I'll deal with the boss, so don't get yourself in a sweat about it. The doctor said he wanted to talk to me about the test results, and now I'm in a huge sweat about it.
6. noun, slang A cause of trouble, bother, or difficulty. Fixing the issue won't be a sweat. We just need to make sure things don't break down the same way again in the future.
1. informal Short for "sweatpants." Whenever I work from home, I spend the whole day in my sweats.
2. informal Short for "sweat suit." I got some new sweats for my jogging routine.
3. slang An instance or period of prolonged or copious perspiration, especially that caused by drugs, withdrawal, illness, anxiety, etc. Usually used with "the." She's had the sweats and a terrible cough all day. Do you think she should see a doctor? I always get the sweats real bad before an interview. He was so hungover that he started breaking out in the sweats at his desk.
See also: sweat
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.