hell of a someone/something
hell of a (person or thing)
1. Quite good or impressive. That was one hell of a party you threw for Kelly. Everyone said they had such a great time. He's a hell of a ballplayer. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it to the pros someday.
2. Very difficult. I had a hell of a time trying to change the flat tire. The lug nuts didn't want to budge.
3. Bad or negative. Did she really hang up on me? That's a hell of a response to an innocent question!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hell of a someone/somethingand helluva someone/something
1. n. a very bad person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) That’s a hell of a way to treat someone.
2. n. a very good person or thing. (Use caution with hell.) He is one helluva guy. We really like him.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.