heave up(redirected from heave it up)
1. To pick something up, usually when doing so is difficult or taxing. A noun or pronoun can be used between "heave" and "up." Can you guys heave up this big box for me?
2. To vomit. A noun or pronoun can be used between "heave" and "up." I've been so sick that I feel like I've heaved up everything I've ever eaten.
heave something up
1. Lit. to lift something up. With a lot of effort, they heaved the heavy lid up. The workers heaved up the huge boulder.
2. Fig. to vomit something up. The dog heaved most of the cake up on the kitchen floor. It heaved up the cake it had eaten.
1. To raise or lift something up, especially with great effort or force: The campers heaved up the flag. The tow truck heaved our car up.
2. To vomit: I heaved up my dinner. The turbulent waves caused the people on the ship to heave their lunch up.