heat(redirected from heating)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. slang Adverse, hostile criticism. The senator has been facing a lot of heat in the media for his involvement in the scandal.
2. slang Intense pressure. Their defensive line has been cranking up on the heat on the other team's quarterback. We've been feeling a lot of heat from the government to improve our security infrastructure.
3. slang Increased police activity in response to some criminal activity. We'll have to wait until the heat dies down a bit before we try to sell the stolen goods.
4. slang One or more firearms, especially a handgun. Make sure you're packing heat before you meet with the rival gang leader. He lifted up his shirt to show them the heat he had tucked in his belt.
1. Central heating. Don't leave the heat on all night, or our energy bills will go through the roof! It's freezing in here! How long has the heat been off?
2. slang Intense police activity or pressure, especially following some crime. Tom's going to have to hide out until the heat is off. Could be a couple of months.
3. slang The police, collectively. The heat is showing a heavy presence in anticipation of the protests.
See also: heat
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. and the heat n. the police. (Underworld.) The heat is gonna catch up with you, Ernie.
2. n. pressure. The boss put some heat on Willy, and things are moving faster now.
3. n. a gun; armaments. (see also heater.) Lefty has his heat on him at all times.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- be in heat
- be packing (heat)
- beat the heat
- can't take the heat
- catch heat
- come in heat
- come in(to) heat
- dead heat
- dead heat, in a
- get in(to) heat
- go in(to) heat
- heat through
- heat up
- heat wave
- if you can't stand the heat
- if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen
- if you can't stand the heat, keep out of the kitchen
- if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen
- in a dead heat
- in heat
- in the heat of
- in the heat of (something)
- in the heat of the moment
- it's not the heat, it's the humidity
- pack heat
- put the heat on
- put the heat on (one)
- put the heat on someone
- put the screws on someone
- take (some) heat
- take some heat
- take the heat
- take the heat off
- take the heat off (of) (someone or something)
- take the heat off someone
- take the heat out of (something)
- take the heat out of something
- take the heat, to
- the heat
- the heat is on
- turn on the heat
- turn the heat on (someone or something)
- turn the heat on someone or something
- turn the heat up
- turn up the heat
- turn up the heat (on someone or something)
- turn up the heat on
- turn up the heat on someone