hear from (one)(redirected from heard from it)
hear from (one)
1. To receive a message from one. A: "Do you ever hear from Tom?" B: "No, not since he moved." When can we expect to hear from the lawyer? If you don't hear from me in the next day or two, then proceed as we agreed.
2. To be scolded or lectured by one (for some wrongdoing). Ugh, I'm definitely going to hear from my parents when they see my bad grades this semester. Expect to hear from the government if you decide to skip out on paying your taxes.
3. To be told something by a specific person. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "hear" and "from." A: "Who told you there were going to be layoffs?" B: "I heard it from Sarah." I heard a really interesting lecture from a man who sold all his possessions so he could travel around the world.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hear from someone or something
to get a message from someone or a group. I want to hear from you every now and then. We hear from the court every year or so about jury duty.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Receive a letter, call, or other communication from someone, as in I haven't heard from my daughter in two weeks. [Early 1300s]
2. Be reprimanded by, as in If you don't get home on time, you'll be hearing from your father. [Late 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. To get some information or communication from someone: The jury heard the testimony from the witness.
2. To be contacted by someone: I heard from your cousin in Tampa yesterday.
3. To be reprimanded by someone: If you don't do your homework, you're going to hear from me.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.