have the drop on
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
have the drop on (someone or something)
To have an advantage over another person; to catch someone else in a vulnerable position or situation. I think we'll have the drop on the defense if we run this play next. The police received an anonymous tip and had the drop on the would-be robbers when they entered the bank.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
have the drop onhave the advantage over. informal
Have the drop on was originally a mid 19th-century US expression used literally to mean that you have the opportunity to shoot before your opponent can use their weapon.
2000 Clay Shooting He always seems to have the drop on me by one bird no matter how hard I try.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- have the drop on (someone or something)
- have the jump on
- get the draw on
- get the draw on (someone or something)
- get the drop on
- get the drop on (someone or something)
- get the drop on someone
- give (one) a/the jump on (someone or something)
- have (one's) foot on (someone's) neck
- catch (one) with (one's) pants down