Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A computer or computer system's physical equipment, such as screens, keyboards, disk drives, etc. The IT guy says he thinks it's a hardware issue, so he's going to bring me another screen to try.
2. Military weapons. If we want to attempt an ambush, we're going to need a lot more hardware at our disposal.
3. slang A gun. Yeah, and what if the police catch you with illegal hardware like that, huh?
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. whiskey; potent liquor. This hardware is enough to knock your socks off.
2. n. hard drugs or hard liquor. No wine for me. Give me the hardware.
3. n. a weapon; a gun. (Underworld and Western.) I think I see your hardware showing.
4. n. computer parts, as opposed to computer programs. The software is okay, so it must be the hardware that’s off.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.