hand (one) (something) on a plate(redirected from handing us on a plate)
hand (one) (something) on a plate
To give or relinquish something to one very easily, without them having to work very hard to get or achieve it. The team's defense has been atrocious today, handing their opponents a victory on a plate. If we can get the government to subsidize our project, our yearly earnings will be handed to us on a plate.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hand someone something on a platemainly BRITISH
COMMON If someone hands you something on a plate, you get it without having to make any effort. Even the presidency was handed to him on a plate. He had had everything, the whole world handed to him on a plate. Note: Other verbs such as offer and serve up can be used instead of hand. Why must our kids have everything served up on a plate?
Collins COBUILD Idioms Dictionary, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2012
- give (something) to (one) on a (silver) platter
- give (something) to (one) on a plate
- hand (something) to (one) on a (silver) platter
- hand someone something on a plate
- hand to on a silver platter
- hand something to somebody on a plate
- hand (something) to (someone) on a plate
- serve up on a plate
- sacrifice (someone or something) for (someone or something else)
- sacrifice for