hand (something) to (one) on a (silver) platter(redirected from handing to us on a silver platter)
hand (something) to (one) on a (silver) platter
To give or relinquish something to one very easily, without them having to work very hard to get or achieve it. The team's defense has been atrocious today, handing a victory to their opponents on a platter. If we can get the government to subsidize our project, we'll have our yearly earnings handed to us on a silver platter.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
hand to on a silver platter
Also, serve up on a plate. Provide with something valuable for nothing, or give an unearned reward to; also, make it easy for. For example, She did no work at all, expecting to have everything handed to her on a silver platter, or Just ask them-they'll serve up the data on a plate. Both terms allude to being elaborately served at the table. [Early 1900s] Also see born with a silver spoon.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- give (something) to (one) on a (silver) platter
- give (something) to (one) on a plate
- hand (one) (something) on a plate
- hand someone something on a plate
- hand to on a silver platter
- hand something to somebody on a plate
- hand (something) to (someone) on a plate
- serve up on a plate
- sacrifice (someone or something) for (someone or something else)
- sacrifice for