Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to hammer: Hammer Films
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. slang To attack (someone) relentlessly and aggressively. Their offense has been hammering the opposition all game long. The enemy has been hammering us with bombardments for two days straight.
2. slang To defeat (someone) very thoroughly or decisively. They ended up hammering the other team 45–10.
3. slang In cycling, to pedal very quickly and aggressively, especially in higher gears. I hammered for the last two hours to Lyon in an attempt to make up lost time.
slang Very drunk. I just can't go out and get hammered like I used to when I was in college. She was so hammered she could barely say her own name.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
n. the accelerator of a vehicle. She pressed down the hammer, and off they went.
mod. alcohol intoxicated. Man, old Fred was really hammered.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
- (as) dumb as a bag of hammers
- (as) dumb as a sack of hammers
- be (as) dumb as a bag of hammers
- be (as) dumb as a sack of hammers
- be at (one) hammer and tongs
- be at it hammer and tongs
- be dumber than a bag of hammers
- be dumber than a sack of hammers
- be/go at somebody/something hammer and tongs
- between the hammer and the anvil
- bring down the hammer (on one)
- bring the hammer down (on one)
- come under the hammer
- come/go under the hammer
- drive/hammer something home
- drop the hammer (on someone or something)
- dumber than a bag of hammers
- dumber than a sack of hammers
- fight (someone or something) hammer and tongs
- fight hammer and tongs
- get a hammering
- give (one) a hammering
- give somebody/get a hammering
- go at (one) hammer and tongs
- go at it hammer and tongs
- go under the hammer
- golden hammer
- hammer (something) home
- hammer (something) into (one's) head
- hammer (something) into (one's) thick skull
- hammer (something) into (someone or something)
- hammer (something) onto (something)
- hammer a beer
- hammer and sickle
- hammer and tongs
- hammer and tongs, go at it
- hammer at
- hammer at (something)
- hammer away
- hammer away at
- hammer away at (someone)
- hammer away at (something)
- hammer down
- hammer home
- hammer into
- hammer into and pound into
- hammer on
- hammer onto
- hammer out
- hammer some beers
- if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail
- it's raining pitchforks (and hammer handles)
- Maslow's hammer
- nail the hammer on the head
- on (one's) hammer
- pound (something) into (someone or something)
- pound a beer
- put the hammer down
- sledgehammer argument
- take a hammering
- under the hammer
- when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail