Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
give (one) the hairy eyeball
To look at one in a way that shows wariness or displeasure. I gave Gina the hairy eyeball when I overheard her gossiping about my best friend.
hairy at the heel
Coarse and unsophisticated. Primarily heard in UK. Are you hairy at the heel? Don't call them at this late hour!
slang A stressful or unnerving situation. It's kind of a hairy situation—there's still a lot of tension between them because of the divorce. Look at all that ice on the road! Getting home is going to be a pretty hairy situation.
1. rude slang Scary or exhilarating. We had a hairy-ass time trying to get out of that haunted house—I still had fun, though.
2. rude slang Macho. Hairy-ass guys just annoy me. I like thoughtful, poetic types.
1. rude slang Scary or exhilarating. We had a hairy-assed time trying to get out of that haunted house—I still had fun, though.
2. rude slang Macho. Hairy-assed guys just annoy me. I like thoughtful, poetic types.
give someone the hairy eyeballstare at someone in a disapproving or angry way, especially with your eyelids partially lowered. North American informal
1992 Guy Vanderhaeghe Things As They Are The commissioner giving him the hairy eyeball all through the service didn't do anything for Reg's increasing bad humour either.
give somebody the hairy ˈeyeball(American English, informal) look at somebody in a suspicious or disapproving way: When I say I’m into hunting, people either laugh or give me the hairy eyeball.
This refers to looking at somebody with your eyes slightly closed so that your eye is partly covered by your eyelashes.
mod. hazardous; difficult. That was a hairy experience!
1. mod. wild; exciting. We had a real hairy-ass time on the roller coaster.
2. mod. strong and virile. (Usually objectionable.) This big hairy-ass guy started to push us around.