Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. To use or consume some resource rapidly or in large quantities. Every time the price of oil rises, people start trading cars that guzzle gas for more fuel-efficient ones. Some app on my phone is guzzling my battery, and I can't figure out which one it is.
2. slang To drink something very quickly, often alcohol. If he's at the bar tonight, that means he's guzzling again. I ended up guzzling my milkshake because it was so good!
slang To drink something very quickly, often alcohol. A noun or pronoun can be used between "guzzle" and "down." As usual, they're at the bar, guzzling down some beers. I ended up guzzling my milkshake down because it was so good!
1. slang Arrested. Well, I had to go down to the police station this morning because your brother got himself guzzled again.
2. slang Drunk. Do you remember last night at the bar at all? You guys were really guzzled!
See also: guzzle
slang Someone apt to consume large quantities of alcohol. Geez, if I go to the bar again this week, I'm gonna look like a real guzzle-guts!
guzzle something down
to drink something rapidly and eagerly. He guzzled the beer down and called for another. He guzzled down the beer and called for another.
1. tv. & in. to drink alcohol in great quantities. (Very old.) Stop guzzling for a while and pay attention.
2. n. a drinking spree. Fred’s out on another of his guzzles.
1. mod. arrested. (Underworld.) Rocko got himself guzzled on a speeding rap.
2. mod. alcohol intoxicated. Todd was too guzzled to drive home.
See also: guzzle
n. a drunkard; a heavy drinker. Old guzzle-guts here would like another drink.