Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A label for a genre of rock music said to encompass several popular bands from the late 1980s and early '90s. Grunge music is often characterized as guitar-driven and having lyrics that focus on alienation and social issues. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are the two bands usually considered as exemplars of grunge—even though they sound very different!
2. A fashion aesthetic characterized by an intentionally disheveled or scruffy appearance, typically featuring oversized or tattered clothing and long, unkempt hair. The characters in the TV show "My So-Called Life" wear some stereotypically grunge looks. A: "What's with all the flannel?" B: "Didn't you hear? Grunge is back, baby!"
3. slang Something unpleasant or foul. Go straight to the bathroom and wash that grunge off your hands now!
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
grungeand grunch (grəndʒ and grəntʃ)
1. n. any nasty substance; dirt; gunk. There’s some gritty grunge on the kitchen floor.
2. n. an ugly or nasty person; a repellent person. Some grunch came by and dropped off this strange package for you.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.