groovy(redirected from grooviest)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to grooviest: bodacious
1. slang To feel happy and calm. A: "You look like you're feeling groovy." B: "Well, of course—I've just been sitting by the pool all day."
2. slang To be intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. Do you remember last night at the bar at all? You were really feeling groovy! Based on the smell of weed in the air, I bet some people in here are already feeling groovy.
1. slang Cool or appealing. Popular in the 1960s and '70s, the term is considered dated and thus is often used humorously, sarcastically, or specifically in reference to something that is (or looks like it could be) from that era. A: "Yikes Mom, those are some, um, groovy drapes!" B: "What, you don't like them?" "Groovy" seems like the only way to describe the aesthetic of the "Yellow Submarine" movie.
2. slang Intoxicated with drugs or alcohol. Based on the heavy smell of pot smoke in the air, I bet some people around here are feeling groovy tonight.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. in. to feel really good and mellow. It’s a beautiful day, and I really feel groovy.
2. in. to be alcohol or drug intoxicated. Looks like Kelly is feeling groovy on gin again.
1. mod. cool; pleasant. Man, this music is groovy.
2. mod. drug intoxicated. (Drugs.) Three beers and he was a little groovy.
3. mod. out-of-date; passé. (California.) Oh, how groovy!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.