green(redirected from greenness)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. noun, slang Paper money, especially in large amounts. Boy, I bet you had to lay down some serious green for that new sports car, huh? How much green is this repair job gonna cost me? Now, don't go shelling out all your green at once just because you've gotten your first paycheck.
2. noun, slang Marijuana, especially that which is inexpensive or of low quality. Dude, I scored some green for the concert!
3. adjective Inexperienced. The new interns are pretty green, but I think they're going to be quick learners.
4. adjective Naïve. The city is full of people ready to take advantage of all the green newcomers that arrive every day.
5. adjective Environmentally conscious or designed not to have an adverse impact on the environment. The new student center was designed with green building principles. This year, our department is trying to focus on all the ways we can be more green.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
greenand green folding and green paper and green stuff
n. money; paper money. (see also long bread.) I have so much green stuff, I don’t know what to do with it. What is need is more green! Not promises!
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
greenaround/about the gills
Pale or sickly in appearance.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (as) green as grass
- (as) sure as God made little green apples
- (one) is not as green as (one) is cabbage-looking
- a hedge between keeps friendship green
- a little green
- and the moon is made of (green) cheese
- be (as) green as a gooseberry
- be green
- be green about the gills
- be green around the gills
- be green with envy
- blue around the gills
- Chinese green
- eat (one's) greens
- elope to Gretna Green
- flourish like a green bay tree
- get the green light
- give (one) the green light
- give somebody/get the green light
- give someone/something the green light
- give the green light to (someone or something)
- go green on someone
- God's green earth
- green about the gills
- green apple quickstep
- green around the gills
- green as a gooseberry
- green as grass
- green fingers
- green folding
- green folding stuff/money
- green hand
- green indigo
- green labor
- green light
- green light, get/give the
- green light, the
- green paper
- green room
- green shoots
- green stamps
- green state
- green stuff
- green thumb
- green with envy
- green-eyed monster
- green-eyed monster/green with envy
- have a green thumb
- have green fingers
- I don't buy green bananas
- I'm not as green as I am cabbage-looking
- long bread
- long green
- moon (is) made of green cheese, (and) the
- rub of the green
- sure as God made little green apples
- the green apple quickstep
- the green-eyed monster
- the rub of the green
- wear the green willow
- where on God's green earth
- Where on God's green earth?
- wigs on the green