bite(redirected from grab a bite)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. verb To respond to an invitation or ad, often a dishonest or misleading one. I tried to trick my brother into cleaning my room, but he didn't bite.
2. verb To be bad or seem ominous. I'm surprised he was nice to you—he usually bites.
3. verb To steal or take something. Aw man, somebody bit my notes, so I couldn't study at lunch.
4. verb, slang To be annoying or disappointing. Oh, that TV show bites. This season has been so stupid that I just can't watch it.
5. noun A meal, often one that is small or doesn't take long to prepare or eat. A shortened form of the phrase "a bite to eat." We don't have a lot of time, so let's just grab a quick bite before the movie starts. Let's pull off at the next rest stop to grab a bite.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
*bite (to eat)
to get something to eat; to get food that can be eaten quickly. (*Typically: get ~; grab ~; have~.) I need a few minutes to grab a bite to eat. Bob often tries to get a bite between meetings.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. n. a jail sentence. (Underworld.) Mooshoo did a two-year bit in Sing Sing.
2. n. a small theatrical part. (From bit part.) It was just a bit, but I needed the money.
3. n. any part of an act; any isolated activity or presentation. I didn’t like that bit concerning penalties.
1. in. to accept a deception; to fall for something; to respond to a come-on. We put up a sign advertising free pop, but nobody bit.
2. in. [for someone or something] to be bad or threatening. My dad bites, but don’t worry, he’s in a good mood.
3. in. to be irritating. (More severe than to suck, as in It sucks.) This party bites. Sko.
4. tv. to copy something without permission; to steal something. Sue bit a copy of my term paper, and I almost got in trouble.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
bite/hold (one's) tongue
To be or keep silent.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- (one) is not going to bite (someone)
- (one) won't bite (someone)
- (one's) bark is worse than (one's) bite
- a barking dog never bites
- a barking dog seldom bites
- a bite at the cherry
- a bite at/of the cherry
- a bite of the cherry
- a bite to eat
- a second bite at the cherry
- all bark and no bite
- another bite at the cherry
- another bite of the cherry
- bark is worse than one's bite
- bark is worse than one's bite, one's
- barking dog never bites
- barking dogs seldom bite
- bite (one's) head off
- bite (one's) lip
- bite (one's) nails
- bite (one's) nose off to spite (one's) face
- bite (one's) thumb at
- bite (one's) tongue
- bite back
- bite down
- bite down on (something)
- bite head off
- bite in (something)
- bite into
- bite into (something or someone)
- bite me
- bite nails
- bite of the reality sandwich
- bite off
- bite off (one's) nose to spite (one's) face
- bite off more than (one) can chew
- bite off more than can chew
- bite off more than one can chew
- bite off more than one can chew, to
- bite off more than you can chew
- bite on
- bite on (something or someone)
- bite on someone
- bite one's nails
- bite one's tongue
- bite someone's head off
- bite someone's head off, to
- bite the big one
- bite the biscuit
- bite the bullet
- bite the bullet, to
- bite the dog that bit you
- bite the dust
- bite the dust, to
- bite the hand that feeds
- bite the hand that feeds (you)
- bite the hand that feeds one
- bite the hand that feeds you
- bite the hand that feeds you, to
- bite the ice
- Bite the ice!
- bite tongue
- bite your lip
- bite your nails/fingernails
- bite your tongue
- Bite your tongue!
- bite/snap somebody's head off
- come back to bite (one)
- don't bark if you can't bite
- don't bite the hand that feeds (you)
- don't let the bedbugs bite
- has more bark than bite
- have a bite
- his, her, etc. bark is worse than his, her, etc. bite
- hold (one's) tongue
- I, etc. won't bite
- I’ll bite
- I'll bite
- monkey bite
- One's bark is worse than bite
- put the arm on
- put the arm on (one)
- put the arm/bite on somebody
- put the bite on
- put the bite on (one)
- put the bite on someone
- put the squeeze on (one)
- second bite at the cherry
- second bite of the apple
- second bite of the cherry
- snakebite medicine
- snap (one's) head off
- someone's bark is worse than their bite
- sound bite
- take a bite of the reality sandwich
- take a bite out of
- take a bite out of (something)
- take a bite out of something
- won't bite
- your bark is worse than your bite