get sick(redirected from got sick)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. To be or become ill or generally unwell. I got really sick last week and had to miss several days of work. You're going to get sick in this cold weather if you don't bundle up!
2. To become nauseated, sometimes to the point of vomiting. I'm getting sick driving around all these winding mountain roads. After drinking an entire bottle of vodka, Jim got sick all over his shoes.
3. To become repelled or disgusted by something. I get sick thinking about how much we have to pay for our medical insurance.
1. Also, take sick or ill . Become ill, as in It's just my luck to get sick on vacation, or When was she taken ill? [Ninth century]
2. Become disgusted, as in We got sick as we learned how much money was wasted, or I get sick when I hear about his debts. [Early 1500s] Also see make one sick.
3. Also, get sick to one's stomach; be sick. Become nauseated, vomit, as in If you eat any more candy you'll get sick, or Sick to her stomach every morning? She must be pregnant. [Early 1600s]