get after (someone or something)(redirected from got after us)
get after (someone or something)
1. To push, encourage, or reprimand someone about doing something. I'll get after Tom about going to this interview—it's too important an opportunity to waste.
2. To chase after or pursue someone. Get after the burglar before he escapes!
3. To address something that is troublesome. If your engine is making a weird sound, you better get after it before it becomes a real problem.
get after someone
1. Lit. to begin to chase someone. The other boys got after him and almost caught him. Henry got after Bill and almost caught up with him.
2. Fig. to bother someone about doing something; to scold someone about something. I will get after Fred about his behavior. Please don't get after me all the time.
Urge or scold someone about doing something. For example, Dad should get after Billy to mow the lawn, or Mary got after Jane for forgetting her house key. Also see keep after.
1. To urge or scold someone: You should get after the kids to mow the lawn.
2. To pursue something that is a problem or menace: If you don't get after those termites, your house will be destroyed.