good for (someone or something)(redirected from good for us)
good for (someone or something)
1. Having a positive effect on someone or something. More sunlight will be good for your drooping plants.
2. Able to pay a debt owed. I'm good for the money, don't worry. I'll get it to you first thing tomorrow.
3. Able to work or function. I know it's a used car, but I think it's good for a few more years.
4. Valid or in effect. How long is this warranty good for? Is this coupon really good for 50% off our total purchase?
5. An expression of approval or support of someone for something they have done or accomplished. I heard you got the promotion—good for you! Good for him, getting an A in that difficult class.
Good for you!
a complimentary expression of encouragement for something that someone has done or received. Sue: I just got a raise. Bill: Good for you! Jane: I really told him what I thought of his rotten behavior. Sue: Good for you! He needs it.
1. Beneficial to, as in Milk is good for children. [Tenth century a.d.]
2. Financially reliable, able to pay or repay, as in They know he's good for a big tip. [Mid-1800s]
3. Able to serve or continue to function, as in This furniture's good for at least ten more years, or I hope you're not tired-I'm good for another three miles or so. [Mid-1800s]
4. Equivalent in value; also, valid for. For example, These coupons are good for a 20 percent discount, or This contract is good for the entire life of the book. [Second half of 1800s]
5. good for someone. An expression of approval, as in Good for Bill-he's sold the car, or Good for you! You passed the exam. This usage differs from the others in that orally a slight emphasis is placed on you or whoever is being mentioned. [Mid-1800s]
be ˈgood for something
1 be likely to be able to give or provide something: I’ll ask my aunt if she can help us. She’ll be good for a small loan, I’m sure.
2 be likely to live, last, etc. for a period of time: This car’s probably good for another 20 000 miles.