Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. To visit some place. I'm going over to Eddie's house, Mom—see you later!
2. To review something. Can you go over these instructions again? I'm still a little confused.
3. To generate a particular reaction; to be received in some way. Unfortunately, our proposal did not go over well with the board, and I doubt they'll approve it.
4. To inspect someone or something thoroughly. We need to go over every inch of this house to find my engagement ring!
5. To rehearse or practice something. We need to go over our lines before we take the stage.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. n. an examination. I gave your car a good going over, and I fixed a lot of little things.
2. n. a beating. After a going over like that, the guy spent two weeks in the hospital.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.