go easy(redirected from goes easy)
1. To act with prudence or caution. Go easy lifting those boxes into the attic; you don't want to throw your back out again!
2. To treat or handle gently; to not be overly critical or negative. I know you're upset about the TV, but go easy on the kids. It was just an accident. I know you like to give honest feedback, but go easy, she spent all week writing that paper.
3. To use or take a small or appropriate amount of something. You really should go easy on the fried food. It can't be good for your health. Go easy! I don't like my food too salty.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. Act or proceed with caution, as in Go easy moving that bookcase, or Go easy on the subject of layoffs. [Late 1800s] Also see easy does it; take it easy.
2. go easy with or on ; go light on. Use sparingly, as in Go easy with the makeup; a little lipstick is enough, or Go light on the salt. [Colloquial; early 1900s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.