goad (someone or something) on(redirected from goad me on)
goad (someone or something) on
1. To physically encourage someone or something to continue moving, as by physical prodding. I had to goad the dogs on when they tried to lie down at the end of our street.
2. To taunt, tease, or otherwise coerce someone into proceeding. My friends tried to goad me on, but I knew I'd had enough to drink for the night.
3. To coax or encourage someone into proceeding. The audience started clapping, in an attempt to goad the frightened kids on.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
goad someone on
to urge someone onward, possibly with jeers or challenges; to urge someone to continue. (Usually in this order.) The cheering crowd goaded the team on to victory. I goaded Jed on to taking the risk.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To make someone or something move by prodding or poking: The farmer goaded the cattle on.
2. To urge someone to continue something through prodding or threat of embarrassment: I didn't want to sing any more, but the crowd goaded me on.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.