in the bull pen(redirected from go into the bull pen)
in the bullpen
1. In the area where relief pitchers warm up before entering a baseball game. Elliot is warming up in the bullpen right now, so he'll come in and try to hold this lead.
2. By extension, a team's relief pitchers taken collectively. OK, who do we have in the bullpen this season?
3. Ready and available to do something. Don't worry, I've got a few interns in the bullpen to help me with this.
See also: bullpen
*in the bull pen
1. Lit. [of a baseball pitcher to be] in a special place near the playing field, warming up to pitch. (*Typically: be ~; go [into] ~.) You can tell who is pitching next by seeing who is in the bull pen. Our best pitcher just went into the bull pen. He'll be pitching soon.
2. Fig. in reserve, ready if needed. I'm willing to be in the bull pen. Just call me if you need me.