Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
glued to the spot
Unable to move, usually due to fear or surprise. Primarily heard in UK. I wanted to run when I saw the car headed towards me, but my legs just wouldn't move—I was glued to the spot.
glued to (someone or something)
1. Following or staying very close to someone, especially in an annoying or clingy way. We thought Sarah would love the freedom of running around the beach on her own, but she's been glued to us all day.
2. Giving something one's complete attention, and ignoring everything else. He's been glued to that book for the entire camping trip. I wish he would take a break and enjoy the scenery. Conor's kids are always glued to the television. They don't even say hello when we come over.
be glued to (someone or something)
1. To be following or staying very close to someone, especially in an annoying or clingy way. We thought Sarah would love the freedom of running around the beach on her own, but she's been glued to us all day.
2. To be giving something one's complete attention, and ignoring everything else. He's been glued to that book for the entire camping trip. I wish he would take a break and enjoy the scenery. Connor's kids are always glued to the TV. They don't even say hello when we come over.
(with) (one's) eyes glued to (something)
With all of one's attention focused solely on the thing one is looking at. If "with" is omitted, the entire phrase is separated from the rest of the sentence by one or two commas. I will not abide people eating at my table with their eyes glued to their phones! I came back two hours later to find the kids sitting in exactly the same position, their eyes still glued to the television.
have (one's) eyes glued to (something)
To have all of one's attention focused solely on the thing one is looking at. I absolutely hate it when people eat at my house and have their eyes glued to their phones for the entire meal. I came back two hours later to find the kids still had their eyes glued to the television.
glue something down
to fix something down onto something with cement. Glue the edge of the rug down before someone trips over it. You should glue down the rug.
glue something on(to) somethingand glue something to something; glue something on
to attach something to something else with cement. Please glue the binding onto this book. Someone pulled it off. Please glue on the binding.
glue something together
to attach the pieces of something together with glue. She glued the pieces of the model plane together. She glued together all the loose pieces.
glued to someone or something
Fig. following someone everywhere; very close to or touching something. His little sister was glued to him all afternoon. Finally he sent her home.
your eyes glued to somethingor
your eyes glued on something
Someone with their eyes glued to something or glued on something, is watching it with all their attention. Her eyes glued to the screen of her laptop, Kate did not notice the room growing dark. People stood in groups, their eyes glued to the TV and a look of disbelief on their faces. The boys sat politely on the gym floor, their eyes glued on the special visitor. Note: You can also keep your eyes glued to something or glued on something. I just kept my eyes glued to the road. I kept my eyes glued on the door, just waiting for him to come.
be ˈglued to something(informal) give all your attention to something; stay very close to something: He spends every evening glued to the TV. ♢ Her eyes were glued to the screen (= she did not stop watching it).
ˌglued/ˌrooted to the ˈspotnot able to move, for example because you are frightened or surprised: He shouted at her to run, but she just stood there, glued to the spot. ♢ She stood there rooted to the spot when she saw the body.
n. the place where old horses are sent so their bones can be made into glue; a similar, imaginary place for people. I’m not as young as I used to be, but I’m not ready for the glue factory yet.
1. mod. arrested. (Underworld.) Shorty goes to great extremes to keep from getting glued.
2. mod. alcohol intoxicated. About three more beers and I’ll be glued.