glare down(redirected from glare me down)
Like this video? Subscribe to our free daily email and get a new idiom video every day!
1. To shine or glow powerfully on someone or something. I hope you put on sunscreen, considering how the sun is glaring down on us today.
2. To fix someone with an angry, piercing stare so that they yield or submit. In this usage, a noun or pronoun can be used between "glare" and "down." That woman kept glaring me down until I gave her the last cherry pie, even though I'd picked it up first.
3. To glower at someone or something with anger or disappointment. Glaring down at that parking ticket won't make it go away, you know.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
1. To shine on or illuminate someone or something strongly from above: The sun glared down on the nomads crossing the desert.
2. To intimidate someone or cause someone to submit by staring: The lawyer glared me down until I was unable to speak.
3. To look directly at someone or something disapprovingly or disappointedly: I glared down on my dog, whom I'd caught chewing on the curtains. The dog glared down at the bone, which had sunk to the bottom of the swimming pool.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- be put in charge (of someone or something)
- be left in charge (of someone or something)
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league
- be/have done with somebody/something
- bargain for (someone or something) with (someone)
- a dog in the manger