give (one) the finger(redirected from give them the finger)
give (one) the finger
1. To raise the middle finger (a rude gesture of anger or displeasure) at one. What are you giving me the finger for, I didn't even say anything insulting! I gave my brother the finger after he said that he'd never seen a worse basketball player than me.
2. To treat one poorly or display contempt for one. Making us sit in the very back row is basically his way of giving us the finger.
give someone the finger
1. Fig. to display the middle finger upright as a sign of derision. (The gesture is derisive and offensive. See also flip someone off, flip someone the bird.) Did one of you guys give Ted the finger? Somebody gave the cop the finger.
2. Fig. Inf. to mistreat someone; to insult someone. You've been giving me the finger ever since I started working here. What's wrong? I'm tired of everybody giving me the finger around here just because I'm new.
give the finger
Make an obscene gesture by closing one's fist and extending one's middle finger upward, generally interpreted as fuck you. For example, Herb has a dangerous habit of giving the finger to motorists who cut in front of him. Although from about 1890 to 1920 this term was used in the sense of "disappoint or snub someone," that meaning seems to have died out. [Second half of 1900s]
give someone/something the fingerINFORMAL
1. If you give someone or something the finger, you do something which shows your anger at them or lack of respect for them. His business would be more successful if he didn't give the finger to most of the commercial opportunities that come his way. He could afford to give the finger to people like that.
2. If you give someone the finger, you make an offensive gesture with one hand, with the middle finger pointing up and the other fingers bent over. The great thrill was to give passers-by the finger through the window.
give someone the fingermake a gesture with the middle finger raised as an obscene sign of contempt. North American informal
Since 1976 , this gesture has sometimes been called the Rockefeller Gesture after Nelson Rockefeller was seen making it on a news film.
give somebody the ˈfinger(American English, informal) raise your middle finger in the air with the back part of your hand facing somebody, done to be rude to somebody or to show them that you are angry: Did you see what he just did? He gave me the finger!
give someone the finger
1. tv. to display the middle finger upright as a sign of derision. (The gesture is taboo.) Somebody gave the cop the finger.
2. tv. to mistreat someone; to insult someone. You’ve been giving me the finger ever since I started working here. What’s wrong?