give someone the ax, to(redirected from give the ax)
give someone the ax
1. tv. to dismiss someone from employment. I was afraid they would give me the ax.
2. tv. to divorce someone. She gave him the ax because he wouldn’t stop smoking like he promised.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.
give someone the ax, to
The Dictionary of Clichés by Christine Ammer Copyright © 2013 by Christine Ammer
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- a stranger to (someone or something)
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league
- be in bad with (someone)
- (one) puts (one's) pants on one leg at a time
- bargain for (someone or something) with (someone)
- brief (someone) about (someone or something)