give someone enough rope
give (someone) enough rope
If you give someone the opportunity to do something wrong or detrimental to themselves, they will usually do it; one does not need to interfere to bring about someone's downfall. The full version is "Give one enough rope, and one will hang oneself." Don't interrupt him with questions. Just let him keep talking and he'll incriminate himself. Give him enough rope and see what happens.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
give someone enough rope (or plenty of rope)give a person enough freedom of action to bring about their own downfall.
The fuller form of this expression is the proverb give a man enough rope and he will hang himself , which has been in use in various forms since the mid 17th century.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- Give enough rope and he'll hang himself
- give him enough rope and he'll hang himself
- give somebody enough rope
- give someone
- enough rope, give someone
- give (one) enough rope
- give a man enough rope and he will hang himself
- give (one) enough rope to hang (oneself)
- give someone enough rope to hang themselves