give (one) up as a bad job(redirected from give one up as a bad job)
give (one) up as a bad job
To cease trying to get one to change because it seems like a futile task. Just give him up as a bad job—you'll never get him to be the responsible man you're looking for.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
give somebody/something up as a bad ˈjob(informal) decide that it is impossible to do something or to change somebody and then stop trying to do it: ‘Are you still studying Japanese?’ ‘No, I gave it up as a bad job. It was far too difficult for me!’
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
- give somebody/something up as a bad job
- give somebody/something up for lost
- give someone up for lost
- give up for lost
- give (someone or something) up for lost
- a losing game
- like nailing Jell-O to the wall
- like trying to nail Jell-O to the wall
- put a rope to the eye of a needle
- move (the) deckchairs on the Titanic