give (someone) the can(redirected from give me the can)
give (someone) the can
To summarily dismiss or oust someone from employment; to fire someone. Management promptly gave the new accountant the can after his miscalculation cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars. They'll give me the can if they ever find out I came into work drunk yesterday.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- be left in charge (of someone or something)
- accompany (one) on a/(one's) journey
- accompany on a journey
- be put in charge (of someone or something)
- a stranger to (someone or something)
- be out of (one's) league
- be out of somebody's league
- be in bad with (someone)
- (one) puts (one's) pants on one leg at a time
- bargain for (someone or something) with (someone)