give birth to (someone or something)(redirected from give birth to him)
give birth to (someone or something)
1. To birth a baby. Angela gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last night.
2. To bring something into existence. The technological advances gave birth to the Industrial Revolution.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
give birth to someone or something
1. Lit. to have a child; [for an animal] to bring forth young. She gave birth to a baby girl. The cat gave birth to a large number of adorable kittens.
2. Fig. to bring forth a new idea, an invention, a nation, etc. The company gave birth to a new technology. The basic idea of participatory democracy gave birth to a new nation.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
give birth to
1. Bear a child, as in She gave birth to her first child exactly at midnight. [Early 1800s]
2. Also, give rise to. Be the cause or origin of. For example, His hobby gave birth to a very successful business, or The economic situation gave rise to widespread dissatisfaction. The first term dates from the early 1700s, the second from the late 1700s.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
give ˈbirth (to somebody/something)produce a baby or young animal: She died shortly after giving birth. ♢ Mary gave birth to a healthy baby girl. ♢ (figurative) It was the study of history that gave birth to the social sciences.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017
give birth to
1. To bear as offspring.
2. To be the origin of: a hobby that gave birth to a successful business.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.