Give a beggar a horse, and he'll ride it to death.(redirected from give a beggar a horse and he'll ride it to death)
Give a beggar a horse, and he'll ride it to death.
proverb If a poor person suddenly comes into wealth, they will inevitably use it in unscrupulous or irresponsible ways. It was a heartwarming story to hear about the homeless man who found a winning lottery ticket for nearly $2 million. But just a year later, he's back in the headlines for being back on the streets, having squandered all that money on drugs, alcohol, and expensive super cars. Truly, you give a beggar a horse, and he'll ride to the devil.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
- Set a beggar on horseback, and he'll ride to the devil.
- teach a man to fish
- it takes a village
- that's sweet
- Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship.
- a man is judged by the company he keeps
- a man is known by the company he keeps
- that is sweet of (someone)
- the best-laid plans go astray