ginger(redirected from gingery)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. slang A person with red hair. I was actually a bit of a ginger when I was young, but my hair turned more auburn as I grew older.
2. slang Homosexual, especially of men. The term comes from rhyming slang in which "ginger beer" rhymes with "queer." Can be used disparagingly. Primarily heard in UK. He's never going to ask you on a date, Sheila—he's a ginger.
slang Homosexual, especially of men. The phrase comes from rhyming slang in which "ginger beer" rhymes with "queer." Can be used disparagingly. Primarily heard in UK. Do not ask him on a date, Sheila—he's definitely ginger beer.
A small group of people within a political party or organization who attempt to influence the other members of the group. Primarily heard in UK, Australia. The party was staunchly conservative until the ginger group slowly started shifting them to a more liberal stance on social issues.
vulgar slang A male with naturally red hair. (A reference to his pubic hair, where "knob" is vulgar slang for the penis). Primarily heard in UK, Ireland.
1. vulgar slang A woman with naturally red hair (a reference to her pubic hair, where "minge" is vulgar slang for the vulva or vagina). Primarily heard in UK, Ireland.
2. vulgar slang The external genitals of a woman with red pubic hair. Primarily heard in UK, Ireland.
See also: ginger
offensive slang A derogatory term for a person with red hair who is considered unattractive. Primarily heard in UK, Ireland.
See also: ginger
1. To spice something with ginger. A noun or pronoun can be used between "ginger" and "up." Primarily heard in US. I think you could stand to ginger up the curry sauce a bit more.
2. To make something more lively, interesting, or exciting. A noun or pronoun can be used between "ginger" and "up." Primarily heard in US. My editor wants me to ginger up the story with some steamy romance. I was worried the party might end up falling a little flat, so I hired a professional DJ to ginger it up.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
ginger groupa highly active faction within a party or movement that presses for stronger action on a particular issue.informal
An old horse dealer's trick (recorded from the late 18th century) to make a broken-down animal look lively was to insert ginger into its anus. From this developed the metaphorical phrase ginger up , meaning ‘make someone or something more lively’; in the early 20th century the term ginger group arose, to refer to a highly active faction in a party or movement that presses for stronger action about something.
1970 New Society The appearance of ginger groups to fight specific proposals, is not necessarily a bad thing—particularly if the established bodies aren't prepared to fight.
Farlex Partner Idioms Dictionary © Farlex 2017