gig(redirected from gigging)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(one's) jig is up
One's plan or scheme has been discovered and/or thwarted; one's game, trick, or deception is at an end. A variant of the much more common phrase "the jig is up." Your jig is up, Senator Marten! Your tax evasion has been found out, and the police are here to escort you to prison. We were going to play a practical joke on David, but when he noticed our car parked out front, I knew that our jig was up.
the jig is up
The plan or scheme has been discovered and/or thwarted; the game, trick, or deception is at an end. The jig is up, Smith! The police found your fingerprints all over the safe. We tried to smuggle a kitten into the house, but when mom saw me carrying a saucer of milk, I knew that the jig was up.
the jig is upAMERICAN, INFORMAL
If the jig is up, someone can no longer do something wrong or illegal because someone has found out about it. They had been taking money from residents, but they knew the jig was up when one of them contacted the police. Compare with the game is up.
the jig is upthe scheme or deception is revealed or foiled. North American informal
The sense of jig here dates from the late 16th century and means ‘jest’ or ‘trick’. The jig is over is recorded from the late 18th century in the USA and the usual modern version with up appeared only slightly later.
1. n. a onetime job; an engagement. (Musicians.) I had a gig out on the west side, but I couldn’t get there.
2. in. to play or perform. (Musicians.) I didn’t gig at all last week. I’m getting hungry for a job.
3. n. any job of an assignment nature; a onetime job such as when a newspaper reporter is assigned to write a particular story. I didn’t want that election gig, but I got it anyway.
4. n. a bother; an annoyance; a job. Man, this paperwork is such a gig.
5. n. a giggle; a bit of laughter. Her little story gave us all a good gig.
the jig is up
phr. the game is ended; the scheme has been found out. Okay, you kids. The jig’s up!