get (one) going(redirected from get you going)
get (one) going
1. To cause someone to begin enthusiastically discussing some topic. Don't get Grandpa going about the weather unless you want to hear about the Farmers' Almanac all night.
2. euphemism To cause one to become sexually aroused. Yeah, I've never been attracted to beefcakes—it's skinny nerds that really get me going! Is there anything hotter than a guy in glasses?
1. To depart. I better get going so I don't miss the train. Come on, kids, let's get going—the party starts in 20 minutes. Get going or you'll be late!
2. To start taking some action. We need to get going if we want to get this house cleaned up before your mother gets here.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2022 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
get someone going
to get someone excited; to get someone talking excitedly. I guess I really got him going on the subject of politics. The whole business really makes me mad. Don't get me going.
1. to start moving. Let's get going! We can't stand here all day.
2. to depart. What time should we get going in the morning?
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. See get a move on.
2. get something going. Start something, get something into full swing. For example, Once we get production going we'll have no more problems. This usage also appears in when the going gets tough, the tough get going, meaning that difficulties spur on capable individuals; the first tough here means "difficult," whereas the second means "strong-minded, resolute." For example, That problem won't stop Tom; when the going gets tough, the tough get going. Also see swing into action.
3. Make someone talkative or active, as in Once he got her going on her grandchildren, there was no stopping her. [Colloquial; late 1800s]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Idioms by Christine Ammer. Copyright © 2003, 1997 by The Christine Ammer 1992 Trust. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
get someone going
tv. to get someone excited; to get someone talking excitedly. The whole business really makes me mad. Don’t get me going.
McGraw-Hill's Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.