get under skin
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
get under (one's) skin
1. To become a source of irritation. I just can't stand Dean's voice, so everything he says gets under my skin.
2. To be a source of obsession. I can't get that beautiful girl I met earlier off my mind. She's just gotten under my skin.
3. To gain a rich, thorough understanding of one. A: "How did you know he would make that decision?" B: "Oh, I feel like I've gotten under his skin since we've been spending so much time together lately."
get under someone's skin
Fig. to bother or irritate someone. John is so annoying. He really gets under my skin. I know he's bothersome, but don't let him get under your skin.
get under (someone's) skin
1. To irritate or stimulate; provoke.
2. To preoccupy someone; become an obsession.