get past (oneself)
get past (oneself)
To become less focused on one's own personal emotions, desires, ego, issues, etc., so as to improve one's ability to succeed or move forward in life. You're never going to get on with your life if you keep holding on to all that bitterness and regret. You've just got to get past yourself and leave that negativity behind you. He's got to learn to get past himself and work with other people, or he's never going to get very far in this industry.
Farlex Dictionary of Idioms. © 2015 Farlex, Inc, all rights reserved.
get something past(someone or something)
1. Lit. to move something around or ahead of someone or something that is in the way. Let's get the piano past the bump in the floor, then we'll figure out how to move it farther. See if you can get the ball past their goalie by shooting high.
2. Fig. to get someone or a group to approve something; to work something through a bureaucracy. Do you think we can get this past the censors? I will never get this size increase past the board.
get past(someone or something)
1. to move around or ahead of someone or something that is in the way. We have to get past the cart that is blocking the hallway. We just couldn't get past.
2. to pass ahead of someone or something that is moving. I want to get past this truck, then we can get into the right lane. When we get past, I'll stop and let you drive.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. To reach the other side of something: It was raining hard, but once we got past the floodplains, we felt safer.
2. To cause something to reach the other side of something: If you can get the supplies past the guards, the prisoners can take them and no one will notice.
3. To overcome something; no longer need to deal with something: Your advice helped me get past my problems.
4. To cause someone to overcome some obstacle: The cash advance got me past the winter.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs. Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.