get (something) out of (one's) system(redirected from get out of my system)
get (something) out of (one's) system
1. Literally, to allow one's body to process and expel something harmful or discomforting that one has ingested. You'll probably feel better once you get whatever caused the food poisoning out of your system. Sorry, I'm still really groggy. I'll be more alert when I get this medication out of my system.
2. To do something so that one no longer has the desire to do it anymore. I got drinking and partying out of my system during college. I'm ready for a quieter life now. He's been talking about skydiving for so long, I'm just glad he's finally going to get it out of his system.
get something out of one's system
1. Lit. to get something like food or medicine out of one's body, usually through natural elimination. He'll be more active once he gets the medicine out of his system. My baby, Mary, ate applesauce and has been crying for three hours. She'll stop when she gets the applesauce out of her system.
2. Fig. to be rid of the desire to do something; to do something that you have been wanting to do so that you aren't bothered by wanting to do it anymore. I bought a new car. I've been wanting to for a long time. I'm glad I finally got that out of my system. I can't get it out of my system! I want to go back to school and earn a degree.
3. Fig. to do so much of something that one does not want or need to do it anymore. I got riding roller coasters out of my system when I was young.
get something out of your system
COMMON If you get something out of your system, you say or do something that you have been wanting to for a long time, and so you begin to feel less worried or angry about it. Whatever you're feeling, when you talk about it, it gets it out of your system. If something awful happens to you at least you can write about it. I'm sure that helps to get it out of your system.
get something out of your systemget rid of a preoccupation or anxiety. informal
1988 Erich Segal Doctors First she let her get the crying out of her system.